Firefox URL Bar

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:45:42 GMT 2006

On 1/4/06, Wouter Stomp <wouterstomp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:37:44 -0700
> > Lakin Wecker <lakin.wecker at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > In Firefox:
> >
> > about:config
> >
> > browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll           user set     boolean    true
> >
> > Now can we stop fussing about this, please?
>
> Oh yes, that is really helpful for the average user...
>
> The average computer user in my experience doesn't type url's very
> often (uses bookmarks and google instead), but he edits url's even
> less often. So a default behaviour of selecting all would be more
> appropriate and consistent with other OS's/browsers.

How about this for "normal" behaviour:

When you _single_ click on text in a word processor, you position the
"carat" (or whatever it's called) at a specific location. You
double-click to select words, and do something else yet again to
select more than a word (but, the URL is a single word as it bars the
use of space so a double-click is appropriate to select it, WHILE
REMAINING CONSISTENT with the rest of the interface).

Consistency, consistency, consistency.

The URL bar is for editing and entering URLs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides, there is already a GREAT way to select the whole URL. Click
on the mini site icon.

Eric.