Firefox URL Bar

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jan 4 10:38:45 GMT 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:07:25 +0100
Wouter Stomp <wouterstomp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh yes, that is really helpful for the average user...

You forgot the <sarcasm>  </sarcasm> tags but it's OK - I got it anyway
*grin*

> The average computer user in my experience doesn't type url's very
> often (uses bookmarks and google instead), but he edits url's even
> less often. So a default behaviour of selecting all would be more
> appropriate and consistent with other OS's/browsers.

I'm not really buying into the argument - I was trying to suggest that it
seems like a storm in a teacup.

I do think that when the average computer user doesn't get what he/she
expects with one click, the usual response is a flurry of clicks - which
show that an alternative exists, at least in this case. :) If the
aforesaid mythical "average user" can't see that extra clicks do what is
desired, one has to wonder whether such a person should just use a pencil
and paper to get work done.

< ducking, running, and not intending any of this seriously>

Peter

--
Unix is hard to learn. The process of learning it is one of multiple small
epiphanies. -- Neal Stephenson