2c about the development of ubuntu

Udo 'Robos' Puetz robos at muon.de
Tue Jan 3 13:24:14 GMT 2006

On Tue, 03.01.06, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:04:38AM +0100, Udo 'Robos' Puetz wrote:
> > That is my point! If you don't work with the ui yourself you are not bound
> > to find these bugs. The itch-scratch thing applies here: if you get bitten
> > by the itch you can better scratch it than when you only see a bug-report.
>
> This is absolutely true.

Thanks!

> > Plonk! Okay, I want this to come over soft, but if you wouldn't have to look
> > into a supported kde you would have a) more time to look into the ui
> > _yourself_ and experience the ui and discuss possible ways and b) important
> > packages like input methods or modem/isdn might get fixed.
>
> The Kubuntu developers are basically dedicated to Kubuntu; it is not
> drawing resources away from the general distribution.  I can assure you

If kde is main, who else is going to support this? Support it if none of the
free kubutu developers do something about it? Somehow this doesn't fit IMHO.

> that it is *not* the reason why modems and ISDN haven't been fixed, and
> I can assure you that it is *not* the reason why input methods are still
> very sketchy.

As some poster said before: we should ride the examples. But you as a paid
ubuntu developer, have you used a modem? Have you felt the itch?

> Put it this way: yes, I could use scim or something.  But if I used it,
> I'd just be banging on keys randomly.  How would I know if the results
> were even vaguely correct?  For this, we need the specific expertise of
> native speakers, basically, who know what to expect within their given
> locale.  This is not something the core development team can expect to
> cover for even the most common locales, let alone every locale, without
> significant help.

I wasn't the one starting with scim, I have never even used it. But for
instance Ante seems to be german which is a little outside of the latin
family with äöüß. Maybe he should work on it. Or Matt with his indonesian.
But I know to few about indonesian to know if it needs scim.

> So, if you have specific, constructive comments and issues to raise,
> please raise them through the bug tracking system, and maybe consider
> getting a localised team together if there are enough of you.  That's
> the way to get things solved, not sending mails to ubuntu-devel saying
> 'input methods are broken, which means your entire philosophy is, too'.

Again, I tried to stay off specific examples and meant my statements
generally. I didn't speak about scim.
Cheers
Udo

Robos -
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver blackhole.pca.dfn.de 6EEADA09