2c about the development of ubuntu

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jan 3 13:27:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 02:24:14PM +0100, Udo 'Robos' Puetz wrote:
> On Tue, 03.01.06, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > that it is *not* the reason why modems and ISDN haven't been fixed, and
> > I can assure you that it is *not* the reason why input methods are still
> > very sketchy.
>
> As some poster said before: we should ride the examples. But you as a paid
> ubuntu developer, have you used a modem? Have you felt the itch?

Yes.  I've been around since June 2004 or so, and from June to December
or so, the only time I wasn't on a modem was while I was overseas.
Unfortunately at that stage X was in quite a dire shape, so I never got
any time to look at it.  And it still keeps me very busy today.  But I
assure you that I've felt the itch, and that I periodically still look
into it every now and then out of guilt.

> > Put it this way: yes, I could use scim or something.  But if I used it,
> > I'd just be banging on keys randomly.  How would I know if the results
> > were even vaguely correct?  For this, we need the specific expertise of
> > native speakers, basically, who know what to expect within their given
> > locale.  This is not something the core development team can expect to
> > cover for even the most common locales, let alone every locale, without
> > significant help.
>
> I wasn't the one starting with scim, I have never even used it. But for
> instance Ante seems to be german which is a little outside of the latin
> family with ????. Maybe he should work on it. Or Matt with his indonesian.
> But I know to few about indonesian to know if it needs scim.

I speak Indonesian, and it uses a pure Latin (i.e., ASCII) character
set.