2c about the development of ubuntu

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 3 06:46:27 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:04:38AM +0100, Udo 'Robos' Puetz wrote:
> That is my point! If you don't work with the ui yourself you are not bound
> to find these bugs. The itch-scratch thing applies here: if you get bitten
> by the itch you can better scratch it than when you only see a bug-report.

This is absolutely true.

> Plonk! Okay, I want this to come over soft, but if you wouldn't have to look
> into a supported kde you would have a) more time to look into the ui
> _yourself_ and experience the ui and discuss possible ways and b) important
> packages like input methods or modem/isdn might get fixed.

The Kubuntu developers are basically dedicated to Kubuntu; it is not
drawing resources away from the general distribution.  I can assure you
that it is *not* the reason why modems and ISDN haven't been fixed, and
I can assure you that it is *not* the reason why input methods are still
very sketchy.

Put it this way: yes, I could use scim or something.  But if I used it,
I'd just be banging on keys randomly.  How would I know if the results
were even vaguely correct?  For this, we need the specific expertise of
native speakers, basically, who know what to expect within their given
locale.  This is not something the core development team can expect to
cover for even the most common locales, let alone every locale, without
significant help.

So, if you have specific, constructive comments and issues to raise,
please raise them through the bug tracking system, and maybe consider
getting a localised team together if there are enough of you.  That's
the way to get things solved, not sending mails to ubuntu-devel saying
'input methods are broken, which means your entire philosophy is, too'.