2c about the development of ubuntu

Udo 'Robos' Puetz robos at muon.de
Tue Jan 3 02:04:38 GMT 2006

On Mon, 02.01.06, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

This is going to get a short night for me...

[...]

> This is true; there is a lack of experience with input methods among the
> existing development team, and this is one of the reasons why the relevant
> packages are not in main.  Another reason is that we receive conflicting
> reports about which system is most appropriate for Ubuntu, and don't have
> the wherewithal to decide due to the previous reason.

That is my point! If you don't work with the ui yourself you are not bound
to find these bugs. The itch-scratch thing applies here: if you get bitten
by the itch you can better scratch it than when you only see a bug-report.
And holding a deadline, at all cost, is nothing to be proud of. If debian
would go about with such problems they would have lots more releases. But
they even cater to 11 (?) architectures and the bugs stemming from that.

> > Be assured I still haven't decided to replace Breezy by Sarge, which
> > goes long to say I do appreciate and respect the hard work done on
> > Ubuntu. But please, as long as we keep hearing "Why don't you fill a bug
> > report" or "Sorry, but we don't have time/manpower to solve it atm but
> > are still going to release it" like we still hear about Breezy (btw,
> > when is it going to be *admitted* that Breezy didn't ship with the
> > quality level we had in Hoary?), we're going to have a hard time
> > trusting things are going to be different with Dapper. Which was, as far
> > as I understood, Udo's concern.
>
> The amount of quality control done on universe is extremely limited compared
> to main.  While there are more developers focused on universe, their number
> is still very small compared to the amount of software there.  We hope that
> this will become less true in the future, as the development team grows, but
> meanwhile we rely heavily on the efforts of the Debian maintainers of these
> packages.

Plonk! Okay, I want this to come over soft, but if you wouldn't have to look
into a supported kde you would have a) more time to look into the ui
_yourself_ and experience the ui and discuss possible ways and b) important
packages like input methods or modem/isdn might get fixed.
Cheers and good night
Udo

> --
>  - mdz

Robos -
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver blackhole.pca.dfn.de 6EEADA09