2c about the development of ubuntu

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 3 06:42:19 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 12:28:03AM +0100, Lo?c Martin wrote:
> So if the position is still : We can't do anything because "we receive
> conflicting reports about which system is most appropriate for Ubuntu" I
> think we as non English input users might want to know why. Is there any
> new information that lead you to think that you still can't decide?
> Because if it's based on the same reports I've read, I would have a hard
> time to understand what was not clear in the discussion? Or why
> defaulting to scim (while still allowing the few users that said they
> could use scim but preferred uim to go back to uim) would be worse than
> offering nothing with Dapper?

Here's what it comes down to:
Half the people posting to the list from non-native-English backgrounds
have said that scim is the best input method, and everyone on the
planet but particularly everyone in their locale uses scim.
Half the people posting to the list from non-native-English backgrounds
have said that uim is the best input method, and everyone on the
planet but particularly everyone in their locale uses uim.

Another voice saying 'scim is the bomb' is not useful.

> That's Ubuntu we're talking about? The distribution whose purpose is to
> offer any (English speaking WASP) human being a Desktop Linux :) ?

This is getting tiring.  If you want help, you might want to stop
insulting the people offering you a free operating system, hm?

Speaking for myself, yes, I am a native English speaker, from a native
English locale (Australia).  But I speak another language (Indonesian),
and I am currently learning a third.  I use exactly no input methods
whatsoever, because despite my relative diversity of three languages,
all of them use a Latin character set.

> If people didn't fill a bug the same day Colony 3 shipped, though, I
> think I can understand. No internet access, no sudo gedit and no sudo
> anything as well might make it hard to report a bug. On the other hand,
> that made upgrading to Breezy quite an experience - I had forgotten
> Microsoft quality updates, and man, that brought back memories.

How is any of this relevant?

> Well, as a Joe user, I might just be adding noise to the list. But as
> long as Joe user's voice stands nothing in front of a developer's
> concerns, we'll never be any better than Microsoft.

Insulting the development team and endlessly rehashing specific bugs
that came up during a *development* cycle is noise, yes, and it's quite
specifically off-topic to this list.

Some of your comments have been constructive, but I'm finding it rather
difficult to read your emails due to their generally insulting tone.  If
you want to continue with this tone, please do it elsewhere.