Gnome Screensaver issues?

Dan Holmsand holmsand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:26:22 GMT 2006

Disclaimer: I really, really don't like gnome-screensaver right now.

Daniel Holbach wrote:
>       * gnome-screensaver is tightly integrated with
>         gnome-power-manager, which enables us to do stuff like locking
>         after opening the lid again.

For me, locking after suspend or lid close works just fine with plain
acpi-support and xscreensaver, but only occasionally with
gnome-screensaver (and yesterday at least it was totally broken again).

>       * gnome-screensaver uses dbus and can therefore receive messages
>         from video players and other goodness.

I've never had any problems with video players and xscreensaver, but
plenty with gnome-screensaver. And the latter doesn't even try (as far
as I can tell) to be backward compatible with xscreensaver.

>       * gnome-screensaver is the first attempt to integrate the
>         screensaver more directly into the desktop.

That's exactly how I feel. It's an interresting attempt. However, I
don't think that this attempt should merit default installation status
in Ubuntu just because it's called gnome-something.

> I'm sure the gnome-screensaver maintainer could add even more facts to
> the list. In contrast to the amount of good things the screensaver
> brings, the (at least in my eyes) unlikely use case of "configure my
> screensavers" is not that important.

I agree that the screensaver-configurability is a minor issue. But the
upstream maintainers' attitude (for gnome-screensaver and
gnome-power-manager) is not (again IMHO, of course). They seem to answer
most every bugreport with a "f*ck you, luser, we know better than you".

/dan