Python stuff

Lex Hider lexhider at internode.on.net
Tue Feb 21 09:36:12 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 22:41 -0500, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> John Richard Moser wrote:
> > How about relegating these to ubuntu-devel-python, and also spawning an
> > ubuntu-devel-c and ubuntu-devel-objective-c and ubuntu-devel-php and so
> > on?  It'd save on bloat.
>
> Ubuntu is comitted to providing a complete Python development
> environment out of the box. It's a conscious decision, made without
> pretense of language neutrality, and it's very unlikely to change.

I have noticed a few similar discussions asking to remove all the python
stuff from the ubuntu-desktop meta package. I think it would be good to
have a meta-package like ubuntu-python that depends on the python stuff.
Then simply make ubuntu-desktop depend on ubuntu-python instead of the
dozen or more python packages.

The advantage of such an approach is that it makes it very easy to
remove the python stuff if you have no intention of using it.