Speeding up boot

Joao Inacio jcinacio at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 16:40:39 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

i hve been doing many tests to see how i could optimise my boot times,
and i must say the results are not bad at all! [1]

what i would like to know, (if someone can take the time explining it
to me) is what are the reasons, if any, this can't be done by default.

My steps are simple:

1) Disable services i am sure i wont use, like:
 laptop- laptop-mode, apmd, pcmcia...
 printing - hplip, cupsys...
 bluetooth
 raid - mdadm

2) Start many of the services asynchronously. i know i am probably
stretching the line in some services, but it boots just fine.
on the other hand, some of these are begging to be run in async mode:
one such example is hwclock that takes over 2 seconds to sett the
clock

Following these steps, and with included startup for restricted
modules (nvidia driver) i got my boot down to 18 seconds, wich is
about 1/2 of the original time.

Also Interesting to note is that detecting my single sata disk and
cdrom seems to take almost 5 seconds of that time.

--
João Inácio
jcinacio at gmail.com