should aptoncd be included in the CD?

Rafael Proença cypherbios at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 1 15:37:58 GMT 2006

Hi,

I lead the development of the APTonCD, and my idea, since the starts of the
project is just what you're saying, you got the idea :)
The project is a bit "unique", and we haven't nothing like this yet.

Our first beta released 2006-10-29 works fine, but the final version, with
many improvements and new features, are comming in few weeks.

I wold like to see the APTonCD on the default installation, but if it where
on feisty's universe already would be great, and I'm just working on it.
I've uploaded yesterday the package on REVU:
http://revu.tauware.de/details.py?upid=3581. It is waiting for more review
(If someone that have this power are reading this, please, make us happy :)
).

This package are an snapshot of current subversion repository, but, is so
stable as the beta is (very stable).

Any comments are welcome.

Please, you can get more information about the project on the following
pages:

https://launchpad.net/products/aptoncd
http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/ (The new website will be online on this
weekend).

I hope that the tool will be useful for all Ubuntu users and administrators,
I'd get some feedback.

Thank you, and my best regards.

On 12/1/06, David Prieto <frandavid100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I just discovered aptoncd and it seems to be GREAT to perform Ubuntu
> installations on multiple machines, specially those not connected to the
> Internet. For those of you who don't know it, basically it takes any
> apt-installed packages in your computer and uses them to create a custom
> CD to be used as a repository on any other machine.
>
> Thus you can install any program, codec etc. of your choice on any given
> computer. You can see a screenshot of its interface here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=95808
>
> However, in order to be able to get the most of it first you MUST
> download it from the Internet and install it on the target machine,
> which pretty much negates its whole purpose.
>
> Do you think aptoncd should be included in the Ubuntu Feisty CD, so that
> any user having both that and the CD created with aptoncd can install
> any package on any machine, even without an Internet connection?
>
> The package can be downloaded from http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/ and
> takes only 125 kb, so limited disk space shouldn't be a problem.
>
> It's not even in the repos now, by the way.

Rafael Proença
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CypherBios
https://launchpad.net/people/cypherbios
http://www.cypherbios.org