High-res 'bootsplash'

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 04:37:40 BST 2006

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 15:14 -0400, John Richard Moser wrote:
>
>> Matthew Garrett wrote:

>>> Unlikely, I'm afraid. There /is/ a potential mechanism for this - rather
>>> than using the kernel framebuffer driver, we could do vesa in userspace.
>>> This has a couple of drawbacks (x86-specific, would probably need
>>> additional code written in order to support amd64) but would allow
>>> higher resolutions without being likely to break suspend/resume.
>>>
>> Could use VESA kdrive, but uh.  Okay so kdrive is really lightweight and
>> all, but it's still, you know.  An X server.  It's BIG compared to a
>> single-function, tiny little program to scribble on the screen!
>>
> If we've got an X server, I'm putting a frickin' login screen up -- not
> a splash screen.  People can then be typing their username and password
> while the machine boots

It's not so much a full X server (Xorg has extensions and driver modules
and everything) as it is the minimal you need for things to work.  Also
it kind of only takes 2 megs of compressed space (if that) to get Kdrive
+ GTK + Xlibs; if all we're interested in is images and text then GTK
can be ditched.

Getting Kdrive up and saying "I'm going to show a log-in screen" would
be equivalent to using GTK-fb and saying "I'm going to start GNOME"

Like I said though, it's still an X server.  It takes CPU cycles, it
requires Xlibs and a font, etc.

> Scott

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                  -- Bosc, Evil alien overlord from the fifth dimension