cupsys - enable browsing or not?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 23:10:36 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Sorry if this changelog entry was confusing: I meant that with the
> previous version, exporting printers through CUPS browsing did not
> work even after it was enabled with 'enable_browsing 1' (usually
> called through the g-cups-manager UI).
>
> Browsing is still disabled by default, as our 'no open ports in the
> default install' policy requires. That's what I meant with 'Browsing
> still has to be enabled', maybe it was misunderstood.

Oh dear.  I don't like that (if I understand it).  I do think it's
good to be able to enable sharing from a UI but I don't think sharing
should both be enabled when I check "Detect LAN Printers".  Sharing
and browsing are two very different things.

Suppose my department has a shared black-and-white laser printer and I
have a personal (and far too expensive per-page) inkjet in my office.
If I check "Detect LAN Printers" in gnome-cups-manager that should
allow me to detect the department printer but should not share my
Injet with everyone.

Have I misunderstood?