OpenOffice/Gnome file dialogs

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Fri Sep 30 16:53:49 CDT 2005

fre 2005-09-30 klockan 12:18 -0700 skrev Paul M Edwards:
> I like the suggestion to link the hidden folder as a visible folder. I
> used that a few years ago when I was still figuring out Linux.
>
> Isn't this another way to add to ~/.fonts/ ?
> - browse "fonts:///" in Nautilus
> - simply drop new items in there
> Maybe that needs root...
>
> There probably should be a context menu for font items that says
> simply "Install Font".
> --
> Paul M Edwards
>

> On 9/30/05, Edward H. Trager <ehtrager at umich.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Here's a solution:
> >
> >       ~> ln -s .fonts Fonts
> >
> > Now that "Fonts" is a symbolic link to ~/.fonts, it has now become a visible
> > folder and the (inexperienced) user could quickly experiment and realize
> > that dropping fonts into his "Fonts" folder was the equivalent of installing them.

did you miss the above message? The user does not need to know
about .fonts.  I admit this is not easy to find for new users, but its
possible to go to System->Settings->Fonts->Detail->Go to font-folder.
>From there you can just drop your new fonts.

Its not as easy as clicking on "Install new fonts", like how the
theme-manager handles themes - but it is not as impossible as it is for
new users to find hidden directories via the filebrowser. So, to sum it
up, There is a way - and it is not impossible.