Fade to black in xscreensaver and Gnome

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 21 21:54:48 CDT 2005

Tom von Schwerdtner wrote:

>On 9/21/05, Paul M Edwards <pauledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I agree.
>>It's rather ridiculous that these effects look like crap on a modern
>>machine capable of much, much more.
>>
>>What really would make all of these effects faster and smoother would
>>be to have XGL, glitz, luminocity and related technologies that allow
>>today's video accelerators to do the work.
>>
>>Of course there should be software fallbacks and even the ability to
>>disable entirely the effects for older machines.
>>

>I'd love to be able to disable the damn thing.  I have a ThinkPad X31
>which is just under 2 years old (Radeon Mobility) and I find the
>flickering fade-out fairly annoying.  If it just "jumped" straight to
>the final stage it would be fine, hell if it went straight to a black
>background it would be better.
>
>This has been one of my pet-peeves since I first noticed the feature...
>
>Regards,
>Tom

I've noticed that gk-sudo isn't fading anymore, which I'm not sure if
that's a good thing, personally I loved the fading.

But gdm still fades really cheaply, when doing a "new login" and at
bootup (there is a bug report for this though, "gdm loads slowly").

It's 2005, and we can't even do a fade effect. What are we coming to? :)