Fade to black in xscreensaver and Gnome

Tom von Schwerdtner tomvons at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 00:35:37 CDT 2005

On 9/21/05, Paul M Edwards <pauledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree.
> It's rather ridiculous that these effects look like crap on a modern
> machine capable of much, much more.
>
> What really would make all of these effects faster and smoother would
> be to have XGL, glitz, luminocity and related technologies that allow
> today's video accelerators to do the work.
>
> Of course there should be software fallbacks and even the ability to
> disable entirely the effects for older machines.

I'd love to be able to disable the damn thing.  I have a ThinkPad X31
which is just under 2 years old (Radeon Mobility) and I find the
flickering fade-out fairly annoying.  If it just "jumped" straight to
the final stage it would be fine, hell if it went straight to a black
background it would be better.

This has been one of my pet-peeves since I first noticed the feature...

Regards,
Tom