Colony 4 report

Nils elitepenguin at gmx.net
Mon Sep 19 08:51:17 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I installed ubuntu colony 4 on a compaq nx 7010 about a week ago and I
must say im pretty impressed by this distro: Hardware recognition
worked perfect and everything just worked as expected. Even stuff like
multimedia keys, Synaptics touchpad, wireless lan, etc. I also use
fuse to mount some ssh server, which i just installed by installing
the package fuse-module, fuse-utils and sshfs. I used debian before
and always had to compile the kernel myself..

However I also have some questions and remarks:

- Suspend to disk worked, then only thing i had to do is append
"resume=/dev/hda3" to my kernel options in grub (hda3 is my swap
partition). However after resuming again i was not able to mount my
firewire hd i saw no reaction in dmesg after turning it on, there was
also no /dev/sdXX file created.

- There are 2 kernel packages for 2.6: linux-image-2.6.12-8-386 and
linux-image-2.6.12-8-686. ~386 was installed by default. I tried ~686,
but i got a kernel panic. In the package description is written:
PPro/Celeron/PII/PIII/PIV, however I have a Pentium-M. Is this the
reason why it didn't work?

- Rhythmbox does not support mp3s by default, why is this I tought
patent probems with mp3s would only affect enconding them. However mp3
seems to work fine on beep-media-player and xmms by default.

- Ubuntu has mplayer packages (wow :)

- I noted that u can install beagle and best on the gnome desktop, but
it's not by default. Will ubuntu use beagle as the default search tool
in the future?

Regards

Nils