breezy upgrade

Michael Vogt michael.vogt at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 16 16:03:12 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:00:03PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> put in the cd
> select auto upgrade
> get worried when it plans to remove 475 packages, including minor things
> like 'build-essential'.
> tried to copy the 'show details list', but that just made synaptic go
> into a 100% cpu use cycle.
> Ended up having to right mouse on its icon in the tool bar and kill it.

Thanks for your upgrade report. I would be interessted in what exactly
happend. Do you have any transcript of what it wanted to remove
(obtained by other means maybe?).

> Tried again..
> put in the cd
> nothing happens.
[..]

That's expected behaviour. If a cd was scanned already by
synaptic/apt/aptitude there will be no popup. This is to avoid popups
everytime the ubuntu cd is inserted (e.g. when apt/synaptic asked for
it).

A automatic cd-upgrade will not change the /etc/apt/sources.list, it
is only desinged as a cd-upgrade.

A tool build for easy full distribution upgrades (including converting
sources.list) will be discussed/speced at UBZ.

Cheers,
 Michael