Ldap and Ubuntu server a no go - serious problems here.

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Fri Sep 16 13:45:39 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 20:21 +0200, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> George Farris wrote:
> > We were hoping to use Ubuntu as a server but it really does seem extremely
> > unstable.
>
> You seem to be passing judgment on a distribution based on problems with
> a particular piece of software. I find your report surprising, because
> I've been running two busy LDAP servers with the BDB backend on Hoary
> machines for months now, with absolutely no trouble since the moment
> they were installed.

Thanks for the comment.  I do feel since Ubuntu is heading towards a
server distribution that this does indeed belong on the devel list since
there is no server-devel list at the moment.  I have no problem moving
to the user list if all agree, however I consider this a fairly serious
issue for the server-devel team.

Since you have a highly successful install running perhaps you would be
willing to send your configuration files so I can compare what might be
different.  The result could then be posted here so the server
distribution can take full advantage of the findings.  I'm not per say
passing judgement on a distribution just my experiences which have been
extremely frustrating and I seriously want Ubuntu to succeed as a
server.

> You also mention that, while the machine locks up pretty badly, you can
> still interact with getty, just can't get a password prompt. In that
> case, you might wish to try keeping a user logged in (either at the
> console or remotely) overnight, so that you can inspect the system when
> it locks up without having to log in.

I have done this only to find that the ldap server is bunged, I can't
even restart it.  I have no idea why except that possibly the database
is corrupt, however changing databases doesn't help.

Once again thank you for you comment and please consider posting or
sending me you config files.

Cheers and thanks.

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College