openoffice not upgraded?

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 13 21:30:07 CDT 2005

Zach wrote:

> On 9/13/05, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini <evandrofg at ig.com.br> wrote:
>
>> Em Qua, 2005-09-14 às 10:03 +1000, Carey O'Shea escreveu:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On my Hoary to Breezy upgrade, Openoffice was left at version 1.1.4, and
>>> wasn't upgraded. I had to install "openoffice.org2" manually, and remove
>>> the old version.
>>>
>>> Is this intentional?
>>>

>> Do you have ubuntu-desktop installed?
>>
>> -
>> Evandro
>>

> For readers who don't know why evandro's question is relevant:
>
> It is very easy to remove ubuntu-desktop in a typical ubuntu
> installation, particularly with hoary. Removal of almost any of the
> default packages will cause the ubuntu-desktop meta package to be
> removed. It is important to double check that ubuntu-desktop is
> installed before performing an upgrade. Ubuntu-desktop may be
> dependent on new packages in breezy that weren't in hoary, as is the
> case with openoffice.org2. ubuntu-desktop ensures that these new
> packages get pulled in at the time of the upgrade.
>
> As far as removal of openoffice.org 1.1.4, since OOo2 is an entirely
> new set of programs, it doesn't upgrade OOo1, but rather installs
> along side it. OOo1 should show up in local or obsolete programs in
> synaptic, once your repository sources are pointed at breezy and away
> from hoary.

I see, thanks for the explination Zach. I've seen a lot of advice from
people to just "change to breezy in your sources and do dist-upgrade" --
so I assume many people just won't know to make sure ubuntu-desktop is
installed before doing the dist-upgrade.

So -- is there any way to have the dist-upgrade for Breezy install
ubuntu-desktop automatically, if it's missing, since it needs to be
installed for things to go smoothly? Or are there disadvantages of doing
that?

Also, I'm just curious, are users of Hoary notified in some way of the
Breezy release on their desktop, or is it even done automatically? Or
will they have to know to replace "hoary" with "breezy" in their
/etc/apt/sources.list file (or via synaptic)?