amarok

Wouter Stomp wouterstomp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:45:45 CDT 2005

On 9/7/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 02:06:37PM +0200, Carsten wrote:
> > But there's probably no chance to still get actual amarok/taglib
> > versions in breezy, is it?
>
> Not unless there are extenuating circumstances which justify an exception to
> the release schedule.
>
> --
>  - mdz

Well, while it is probably too late, just to give it a try, I would
say there are extenuating circumstances:
Amarok is one of the most popular applications of the moment and 1.3
is a much anticipated, great upgrade with lots of added functionality
which makes upgrading worth it. Already, more than a month before
breezy is released, the forums and mailing lists are full of threads
about installing it, requests for it to be added to backports and
questions why it isn't in breezy. Leaving it out will even cause a
substancial group of people to use another distro (even though they
could install it through backports when it is available) and of course
you could say that that is their choice, I think it would be good for
Ubuntu to include it. Also its absence will be mentioned in reviews of
breezy over and over again.

I understand the policy of not updating after the version freeze and
it is a good idea, but making an exception for this one would be well
justified I think and would make a lot of people happy.

Wouter

ps. its betaversions were also very popular and have been well tested
by a lot of people so it should relatively introduce less new bugs
than the update of an average program.