Further usplash development

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Sep 1 15:54:40 CDT 2005

> > cat /etc/mkinitramfs/modules

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 13:18 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> No problems there.  Try booting in recovery mode, and time how long each
> step takes (especially "Calculating module dependencies").

With usplash 0.1-8 and linux-image-2.6.12-8-686 (2.6.12-8.12),
up-to-date as by my mirror, it is unchanged - I guess you are right
about the module dependencies:

* 0 secs: Hitting enter on the grub screen
* 15 secs: usplash comes up. Then everything starts fast until...
* 20 secs: Calculating module dependencies
* 36 secs: Still calculating; dumped back to text mode
* 40 secs: It goes on

So, 20 secs in the calculating stage. After that, most init scripts run
normal again, but 2 seem suspicious (unrelated?):
Enterprise VMS gets stuck for ca. 12 seconds. Come to think of it, this
is irregular, sometimes faster than that, but I've also seen it slower.
And then hotplug also needs ca. 10 secs.

Kind regards,
Mario