Deb Installer for Dapper.

Michael Moore stuporglue at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 18:45:19 CDT 2005

> I concur on the point that making .debs able to "double click" install
> would basically turn them into .exes, and introduce the spyware problem.
> However you still need to input the password to install it. I think that
> that little interruption in the "Click-Click-Click" process would make
> at least some people thing about what they are about to install...

OSX doesn't seem to have the spyware problems Windows does, but it's
very easy to install programs. I think the *nix permissions structure
make this work the same on Linux and OSX but different from Windows.

On OSX, if the user isn't an admin, they can install the program to a
folder they own, but not to the main Applications folder. If the
default action for double clicking were to install to a users home
directory somewhere, they at least couldn't hose the machine. Also on
OSX, the first time you run a program, you get a warning about "first
time, do you really want to do this" etc.

--
Michael Moore