Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:57:53 CDT 2005

On 10/21/05, John Nilsson <john at milsson.nu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:55 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 01:13:14PM +0200, John Nilsson wrote:
> > > How about a common installation cd and then have desktop+live, server
> > > +live, kubuntu+live and so forth as an extension to the common base?
> >
> > That's essentially what we have under the hood.
>
> I was thinking something like this.
>
> 1) User boots a live-cd.
> 2) User press the "I like this, install it!"-button
>         If unmet requirements (i.e. ubuntu-base not installed)
>         2.1) System asks user to insert an/the"ubuntu-install-cd" or allow it
> to download the required packages.
>         2.2) If required system is rebooted into the installer else just
> installs requirements.
> 3) The system on the live-cd is installed (i.e kubuntu-desktop, or what
> it's called)
>
> While making initial install more of a hassle, trying out alternatives
> should be easier.

In principle 2.1 is a great idea, and certainly workable with a
live-DVD (no insert CD required), but, from personal experience I must
say it's not a good idea to do disk swaps. This requires that people
have the second "install CD" on-hand.

And, if they're going to have to provide the install CD anyway, why go
the extra step with the live-CD? IMO it's simpler in that case to keep
live CD and install CD as distinct, unrelated entities (Ubuntu is
going for "easy to use", not frustrating because "I am missing my
second CD, but, I thought I could install with just one CD since the
Live CD allows me to install! What's going on?")!

Eric.