John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Oct 21 09:05:51 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:55 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 01:13:14PM +0200, John Nilsson wrote:
> > How about a common installation cd and then have desktop+live, server
> > +live, kubuntu+live and so forth as an extension to the common base?
>
> That's essentially what we have under the hood.

I was thinking something like this.

1) User boots a live-cd.
2) User press the "I like this, install it!"-button
	If unmet requirements (i.e. ubuntu-base not installed)
	2.1) System asks user to insert an/the"ubuntu-install-cd" or allow it
to download the required packages.
	2.2) If required system is rebooted into the installer else just
installs requirements.
3) The system on the live-cd is installed (i.e kubuntu-desktop, or what
it's called)

While making initial install more of a hassle, trying out alternatives
should be easier.

> > Or an a similar theme have the iso generated on the fly letting the user
> > choose components on the download page?
>
> Nice in theory but it takes around 10 minutes and lots of server load.

Cache?

Regards,
John