John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Oct 21 11:10:24 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 10:57 -0400, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> In principle 2.1 is a great idea, and certainly workable with a
> live-DVD (no insert CD required), but, from personal experience I must
> say it's not a good idea to do disk swaps. This requires that people
> have the second "install CD" on-hand.
>
> And, if they're going to have to provide the install CD anyway, why go
> the extra step with the live-CD? IMO it's simpler in that case to keep
> live CD and install CD as distinct, unrelated entities (Ubuntu is
> going for "easy to use", not frustrating because "I am missing my
> second CD, but, I thought I could install with just one CD since the
> Live CD allows me to install! What's going on?")!

I see your point, and my suggestion certainly wasn't polished. In its
"defense" one of the main points was to cement the idea that all ubuntu
subprojects are related to each other which would be clear if they all
require the same install cd. A better name would be Ubuntu base
distribution though.

To counter the lost cd example. If you lose your install cd you are
screwed even if that was the only one. If you lose the live-cd you'd at
least have the option of installing over the net. It might even be
possible to bootstrap the installation process over the net if you have
a live-cd.

Regards,
John