George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Thu Oct 20 16:35:54 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 23:11 +0200, Martin Ericsson wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> >Rather than making it actively difficult for users on the same system
> >(who, as I explained, will often be associated with each other and have
> >useful information to share with each other) to share files, I'd much
> >rather see increased UI prominence for permissions on files, so that
> >it's obvious when a file is world-readable and obvious how to hide its
> >contents.
> >

> Isn't a part of the problem that there is no an easy way to share files
> between the different users on a ubuntu  system?
>
> As you stated, on many systems the different users corresponds to
> various family members. Yet if you want to share your music with
> everybody in the family you you have to point them to your home
> directory  or create a common directory with o:rw and make sure that all
> users belong to the same  group?
>
> So I think ubuntu should make sharing easier.  Just as every file dialog
> has a home-icon, it should also have a pointer to a shared directory.
>
> Martin Ericsson

Having /home permissions be other than 0700 is a no no IMHO.  It always
has been on UNIX systems.  Privacy should be number one on the list with
the ability to loosen it up.  If GDM is requiring this, it's wrong.
Users should have the option of having their home directory be locked
down, without loosing functionality such as GDM.  If I misunderstood
this please ignore.