Martin Ericsson nitram.ericsson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 17:39:57 CDT 2005

George Farris wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 23:11 +0200, Martin Ericsson wrote:
>

>>Colin Watson wrote:
>>

>>>Rather than making it actively difficult for users on the same system
>>>(who, as I explained, will often be associated with each other and have
>>>useful information to share with each other) to share files, I'd much
>>>rather see increased UI prominence for permissions on files, so that
>>>it's obvious when a file is world-readable and obvious how to hide its
>>>contents.
>>>

>>Isn't a part of the problem that there is no an easy way to share files
>>between the different users on a ubuntu  system?
>>
>>As you stated, on many systems the different users corresponds to
>>various family members. Yet if you want to share your music with
>>everybody in the family you you have to point them to your home
>>directory  or create a common directory with o:rw and make sure that all
>>users belong to the same  group?
>>
>>So I think ubuntu should make sharing easier.  Just as every file dialog
>>has a home-icon, it should also have a pointer to a shared directory.
>>
>>Martin Ericsson
>>

>Having /home permissions be other than 0700 is a no no IMHO.  It always
>has been on UNIX systems.  Privacy should be number one on the list with
>the ability to loosen it up.  If GDM is requiring this, it's wrong.
>Users should have the option of having their home directory be locked
>down, without loosing functionality such as GDM.  If I misunderstood
>this please ignore.

You misunderstood, so maybe I didn't make my point very clearly.

What I mean is that ubuntu should set up  a shared directory that all
(human) users can access. The permissions for that directory should be
set to 770.

If that sound unsafe you could have an option, "Allow access to shared
directory" in users-admin->users permissions that adds them to the
"shared files" group.

That way  you don't have set lose permissions (755) for your home
directory just because you might want to share some of your files with
your wife.  You just place those files in the shared-directory instead.

Martin Ericsson