Analyzing and improving GNOME startup time

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Oct 6 05:50:29 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 12:14 +0200, Martin Holt Juliussen wrote:
> Found this page some days ago:
> http://www.gnome.org/~lcolitti/gnome-startup/analysis/
> Hope it can be at least a interesting read for the developers of the
> distribution I like so much:-)
>
> It seems like it's been a lot a work on that subject already.

It's nice to see they are concerned about speed, however to me at least,
I don't care much how much time it takes to load Gnome (it takes only 15
seconds or so here at a rough guess, not very fast, but hardly slow
either), but I do cry at how sluggish it is when running. It seems
hopeless. Any KDE app, even though I run them within Gnome obviously, is
significantly more responsive/snappy than its Gnome counterpart. I have
noticed this consistently, be it for small or bigger apps. Same happens
when I run big Windows programs (eg MS Office or Dreamweaver) in VMware.
Basically anything runs faster than Gnome apps, even when they run
within Gnome instead of their "native" environment, weird.

Still, if they can sort out star-up time, maybe that will have positive
side effects for load time of programs in general.
That would be a start...

But maybe it's the whole GTK thing that makes gnome slow ? So I guess we
can't blame Gnome, and can only cross fingers that the GTK boys work on
speed as well ??

--
Vince