Breezy Icon Theme

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Sat Oct 1 19:41:31 CDT 2005

One policy of Gnome is the use of good defaults instead of an interface
to change every small thing. It was part of the decision to drop sawfish
windowmanager for metacity as I recall it (sawfish was a nightmare at
that time, it messed up my desktop several times) - and probably behind
the decision not to let the user change theme on first boot. KDE and
Gnome has had different ideas about interface-design for a long time.
KDE has lots of settings where Gnome put an effort in keeping good
default settings which gets the job done, and limiting the settings.

As for theme-settings - I see no real point in introducing that to new
users at first boot. Most people just want to get their job done. That
may be writing mails, creating homepages or writing documents. Putting
an effort in creating a desktop with good and workable defaults is a
good thing. For those who by some reason dont like the defaults, there
is a possibility to change them. The effort should not be made to create
a desktop for those who wants to change settings. We *can* get a good
defaults (and perhaps the success of Ubuntu can be taken as a sign of
that) which most people like. No one says everyone likes them, but
frankly I can think of no good reason for a person to dislike the
default theme that much that not being able to change the theme directly
would be an insult. So to me it seems as a no-we-wont-do.

That said,

A dialog about Email, Phone, Creating Jabber-account etc - that I see no
problem with. But this is for a good reason. This is for "getting the
job done". Just a simple wizard asking if you want to
* Create an email account (Perhaps one which easely creats a new account
at a free server.
* Create jabber account (Jabber account at ubuntu with msn/icq/yahoo
transports?

* Entering details for other gnome programs like Name, Phone, etc.