ACPI support in Hoary

Niran Babalola iamniran at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 02:54:55 CST 2005

> I am aware that ACPI support has been enabled in Hoary for some time now -
> hibernate and suspend can be invoked using the keyboard, and for the most part
> needed tasks before/after suspend are being scripted.
>
> However, currently, there is no GUI to configure this.  Additionally, enabling
> suspend/hibernate currently requires editing configuration files.

For configuration of what occurs when various ACPI events are
generated, I agree that a GUI would be nice. If you're talking about a
GUI for initiating suspend and hibernate, if you're completely
updated, there should be an option for at least hibernating in the Log
Out dialog. Hibernate was enabled for me by default, and enabling
suspend in the scripts added it to the Log Out dialog as well.

> Also on the topic of ACPI, currently by default no modules except for a few are
> unloaded/reloaded on suspend/resume.  However, there are several that need
> this, including my own ipw2200 wireless card (however, a new version of the
> driver may fix this).  Could we add devices such as these that are known to
> have problems w/suspend to the "unload on suspend" list?

>From messing with the suspend scripts earlier today, I noticed that it
unloads and reloads all network and usb drivers, so it should be
removing your wireless card. The problem I ran into is that the
8139too driver breaks on reload, which, from what I've gathered from a
Google search, is fixed in later kernel versions.

- Niran