resolvconf, dnsmasq, network manager (was Re: resolv.conf file keeps getting rewritten)

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 3 11:30:28 CST 2005

<quote who="Elliot F">

> I have not yet heard the arguments against NetworkManager, just things
> like "it isn't suitable", and "a shame about the architecture".  I had
> tried it, but it made many assumptions about the locations of files
> (/etc/sysconfig) on the system.  Is this the cause of the complaints
> listed above?  Is it just that it is so redhat-centric?  I had thought
> netapplet was the same way (initially) as well?

It's early days for NetworkManager, and it has been going through very
active development, and a lot of architectural change. We weren't satisfied
that it was ready for hoary, and for a while, it looked like it was not
going to be appropriate at all. But that's been resolved now. It is not Red
Hat centric, previous versions have been fairly easily ported.

It's highly likely that we will ship, or use NetworkManager by default, in
an upcoming release.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

   "They are, as I told Telsa, all very small cheques. Indeed our cheques
   only come in one size, otherwise cheque books would be far too hard to
                          manufacture." - Alan Cox