dpatch on Makefile.in?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jun 22 04:17:51 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:03:17AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Magnus Therning [2005-06-22  8:36 +0100]:
>>I don't think the argument regarding 'blowing up the package diff.gz'
>>holds water though. Since there now is a dpatch containing the
>>generated changes it actually blows up the diff.gz even more.
>
>Not if you carefully use the correct version of autoconf/automake etc
>and take care to remove the autom4te directory before creating the
>patch. If you do that, the patch to the .in file should be very small.
>If one just bluntly calls autoreconf with whatever version of autocrap
>is installed, you will end up with possibly a megabyte patch.

Yes, of course, you're right. I don't remember reading anything on this
issue in Debian's materials for maintainers. Did I miss it or should it
be added somewhere? Maybe lintian could be made to check for it?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The multiple human needs and desires that demand privacy among two or
more people in the midst of social life must inevitably lead to
cryptology wherever men thrive and wherever they write.
      -- David Kahn, _The Codebreakers_