dpatch on Makefile.in?

John Skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 22 12:43:36 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:08 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> > >Yes, but be sure to regenerate it ahead of time, and NOT run automake
> > >at build time.  So, either patch Makefile.am and Makefile.in together,
> > >or patch Makefile.am in one patch and maintain a separate "regenerate
> > >autotools" patch.
> >
> > Just to be a little diffiult :-) Why not generate it at build time?
>
> Because it is evil, error prone, and not robust.

Yes. But the autoconf generated script is evil too,
and it is all about patching the evil programming language C
when used with the evil OS environment Unix.

I do all my code generation, configuration, and build
process control in Python, and I use Ocaml as my
main programming language .. the way around the
evil tools is to avoid using them wherever possible.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net