AudioCD burning, another call for testers !

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Sat Jul 16 22:11:21 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 17:32 -0700, Farhad Shakiba wrote:
> With current setup : "I wanna burn a cd, do I need to right click on
> nautilus? Or go to Places-> CD DVD, or was it serpantine?"
>
> Gnomebaker: "I need to burn a cd/dvd/audio cd/ cdimage. Gnomebaker here I come!"
>
> I'm not saying the current nautilus implementation is bad or anything,
> I'm just wondering how in the future every new CD/DVD recording
> feature will be implemented. Are they going to break off into separate
> apps? Serpantine For audio, Nautilus for Image and Data, Some other
> app for DVD video etc...

As I see it, having a program dedicated to cd burning is the way it has
traditionally been done, but it is better to have other applications be
able to burn CDs (and DVDs).

If you want to burn a group of files to a cd, you are probably looking
at them in nautilus - so nautilus should be able to burns a cd
containing those files (which it can). For burning a cd image, you are
again probably looking at the file in Nautilus

If you want to burn a set of photos to a cd, you are probably in F-spot,
gthumb or whatever. You should be able to select the photos, and go
"Burn to CD" (F-spot has "export to cd").

If you want to burn an audio cd, you are probably either a) in you
music/audio program (Rhythmbox from cvs has audio cd burning support) or
b) looking at the files in nautilus. That (b) case is basically where
Serpentine fits in, because nautilus probably isn't the app to deal with
audio cd burning.

I'm not against having a "do everything" cd burning program (e.g.
GnomeBaker), but I think that having other applications including
appropriate cd-burning support is the way to go.

My 2c,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.