Spec for Kerberizing Ubuntu

Andrew Forgue forgue at oakland.edu
Fri Jul 15 08:33:21 CDT 2005

Stephen Shirley wrote:

> Andrew Forgue wrote:
>
>> do with a database, it's just a lot more difficult.  But perhaps the
>> most important reason is that almost everything that needs authenticated
>> access supports LDAP.  I can't think of very many things that support
>> MySQL (or any database) besides PAM, NSS and Apache.
>

> But isn't the whole point of pam and nss that applications only need to
> support them, and pam/nss handle all the details thereof?

Well, er, yes... I suppose you are right, but the rest of my last post
about LDAP support in most other products and such still seems to be the
reasoning behind ldap and say a database.

> Anyway, i'm definitely interested in getting kerberos support improved
> in ubuntu. One of the things that i'd like to see improved is
> install-time support for master vs slave KDCs (see a rant at
> http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2005-March/024034.html , it's
> about debian, but i think it also applies to ubuntu as well).

Yeah, Me too.  I feel like that same guy, but I don't even know how to
get packages changed and nobody in the position to change things has
picked up the spec.  It's not a breezy goal, but hopefully breezy+1.

--
Andrew J. Forgue
Systems Programmer II :: Oakland University
forgue at oakland.edu