Automatic and silent installation of security updates

Martijn van de Streek martijn at foodfight.org
Fri Jul 8 09:15:58 CDT 2005

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005, Wouter Stomp wrote:

> Well at least it could be an option, as I am usually fine with some
> lib-abc-de-6 version 2.5.7.14 being upgraded to 2.5.7.15 if it fixes
> security issues and I don't want to spend any time on that, not even 5
> seconds. It is not that I want my pc to think for itself, it is more
> that I do want it to be secure without having to do anything myself.

There should be a big warning: "Not all packages on the system are up to
date. [Upgrade now] [Upgrade later]" on login, and another (maybe not
pop-up, have a look at the libnotify discussions going on currently)
when updates become available.

You can't force people to upgrade.

> About the kernel, I don't think that should be silently upgraded either.

How should an upgrade-tool distinguish between kernels and other
packages?

Martijn
--
If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.