Automatic and silent installation of security updates

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:42:37 CDT 2005

On 7/8/05, Martijn van de Streek <martijn at foodfight.org> wrote:

> You can't force people to upgrade.
I think you could have this configurable (by an admin with sudo
priveledges).  Perhaps a sane default would be no automatic upgrades
(we don't want to get too Microsofty, do we?), with the option to
automatically install non-kernel security updates from official
repositories, and a further option to install kernel updates (with
necessary explanation of implications of this option).

> > About the kernel, I don't think that should be silently upgraded either.
>
> How should an upgrade-tool distinguish between kernels and other
> packages?

if the package name contains 'linux-image', it's either a kernel or a
metapackage for a kernel, and should be treated differently. from
other packages.