The Way Of Rosetta

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 23 13:34:36 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:24:37PM +0100, Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski wrote:

>  Well, I was delegated by ,,Polish Ubuntu Team'' to check out two things:
>
>  * Rosetta: when we work with Rosetta, what happends next, after we
> reach 100% of project. Will it be included in Horay, or it's commited to
> a project, that has been finished?

Updated translations from rosetta will be added directly to Hoary language
packs on a periodic basis, regardless of whether they have reached 100%.
The period has not been finalized yet, but it should be on the order of
days.

>  * Polish Gnome: Warty has a Gnome 2.8, witch is, according to Gnome.pl
> translation effort completed in 100%. Yet, when you're using Gnome in
> Ubuntu, some parts of translations are missing. We would like to have
> fully translated Ubuntu for Grumpy release (there's not mutch of us now,
> so we can't be read for Horay;-). We could join Gnome.pl effort and get
> access to CSV tree. But I guess they commit it back to Gnome. So, where
> all this went wrong? :-)

For Warty, there were some modifications made to UI text, relative to GNOME
2.8, for which updated translations were not available in time.

For Hoary, with Rosetta, language packs, and active local teams, we hope to
be much more able to keep up with these changes.

If you want to make sure that Ubuntu 5.04 has the most complete translations
for your language, then Rosetta is the best place to work, because the
translations from Rosetta will enter Hoary very quickly.

--
 - mdz