Accepted linux-restricted-modules-2.6.10 2.6.10-2 (source)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Jan 7 13:29:57 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:17:41PM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> Are there any documents anywhere explaining why the modules were moved
> into this linux-restricted-modules package vs how Debian had them, in
> separate packages. (with a linux-restricted meta package maybe?)

They were packaged this way in order to simplify maintenance.  When moving
to a new kernel version, only one package (other than the kernel itself)
needs to be updated.

We hope that this package will eventually be able to disappear entirely, but
until then, this is the most convenient method for us.

--
 - mdz