unicode_start on second and following consoles

Danilo Šegan danilo at kvota.net
Sun Feb 13 03:16:51 CST 2005

Yesterday at 17:27, "Shot (Piotr Szotkowski)" <shot at shot.pl> wrote:

> What kind of switching? If I'm running X and do a ctrl-alt-Fx,

That kind of switching.  I don't know about ISO-8859-2, but it
certainly happens with Cyrillic.  To test, try the following:

1. Add to /etc/locale.gen:
   sr_YU.UTF-8 at cyrillic UTF-8
2. Run locale-gen
3. Switch to virtual console 1 (ctrl-alt-f1)
4. Run "unicode-start LatArCyrHeb-16"
5. Try LC_ALL=sr_YU.UTF-8 at cyrillic date +%c
6. You'll see something like (sr_YU locale sucks, I don't use it myself):
+нед 13 феб 2005 10:14:14 CET
7. Switch to X (alt+f7) and back (ctrl-alt-f1)
8. Characters will be messed up
9a. You'll conclude it doesn't work as I expect :)

or
9b. It will work for you, when I'd really like to hear more about it :)

Cheers,
Danilo