Python IDE (SPE / wxPython 2.5 doesn't work)

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Thu Feb 10 09:45:15 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 01:27 +0530, Sridhar Ratna wrote:

>The main problem with Eclipse is the Java dependency and the huge
>memory requirements which otherwise seems good.  I do not feel Eclipse
>will run comfortably in a 128MB (or even 256MB) RAM.

Yeah, though it's reasonable to expect that people who develop software
(and want modern tools) would have better hardware. That's seems to be
the trend in general, w/ Gnome and lots of other Linux software.

>We have three choices
>
>1. Use Anjuta2 with plugins (or write them)
>2. Implement an IDE from scratch (well, can't we rapidly develop with _python_?)
>3. Use Eclipse

4. Recommend (and possibly improve) something else like SPE. There are
several alternatives at

http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Still, if serious effort is going to be done, I would like to see it
done for Eclipse. A telling fact is that in a recent OOPSLA conference,
most of the software tools introduced were Eclipse plugins.