user based dial up ISP support

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Aug 29 18:13:13 CDT 2005

Jane Weideman wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> The Dial-Up Support for Ubuntu Breezy Goal has been listed as Low
> Priority, even though it is considered to be fairly important as a goal,
> and would be a good-to-have item.
>
> The spec still needs to be completed, but the research that has already
> been carried out and documented is at:
> http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/DialUpSupport
>
> Would anybody like to pick this up and run with it?
> The core team is already maxed out, and wont be able to address this in
> time for Breezy.
>
> Please add your details to the Low {riority table as relevant in:
> http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BreezyGoals
>  and /or send me a mail if you are keen.
>
> Andreas Mueller and Jerome Gotangco did the initial spec, and I am sure
> they will be willing to provide initial input to get things going...
>
> Many thanks,

I am "struggling" with DialUpSupport right now.

I looked at http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/DialUpSupport and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto

Using Breezy, I was able to get a connection to an ISP, but the GUI way required
the user be a sudoers, not something I want for a permanate config.

I found options like "user can connect to the net" and "can use modem" which
didn't seem to have any effect - which makes me think there is a bug in the
current implemtation.

Is there more docs on how to set it up?

If the current "way" does indeed require root/sudo, should something have a bug
report filed against it?

Carl Karsten