Graphical installer in Breezy

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 9 15:41:59 CDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:22:22AM +0200, Michael Anckaert wrote:

> Just went through the Breezy Wiki but didn't found any more information
> on the graphical installer.
> I've had some experience modifying Anaconda (the Red Hat installer), so
> I'd like to offer my help.
> I know the team's love of Python, so I think it should be a good idea to
> fork or modify Python to Ubuntu's needs. But as the Wiki says, there is
> some proof-of-concept, didn't find it unfortunately.
>
> What are the teams opinions about Anaconda and using it as the Ubuntu
> Linux installer?

Anaconda has been discussed in the past and found not to meet our needs as a
basis for a graphical installer for Ubuntu.

We currently have two proposed designs for a graphical installer, and they
are not mutually exclusive.  One involves adding a GTK-on-framebuffer
frontend to the current installer (most likely in C), and the other involves
developing an installer UI which runs under X on the live CD (most likely in
Python).

Both of these approaches will be discussed at length at the Ubuntu Down
Under conference later this month, and we intend to implement at least one
of them in Breezy.

(Readers: Please don't follow up just to express an opinion about one option
or the other, only to discuss concrete development ideas)

--
 - mdz