Graphical installer in Breezy

Tom von Schwerdtner tomvons at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:28:29 CDT 2005

The graphical installer has been discussed at great length and that
probably won't stop untill someone writes a GTK front-end to the
Debian installer.

I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge as an Ubuntu user and
passive follower of developer discussions, Anaconda is not being
seriously considered at this point in the game.  Anaconda was
discussed along with the other existing options (and the Progeny work
was looked at) in the very early days of Ubuntu and it was decided
that it would not be used.  You  should poke around in the sounder
list archives for some explenation... I have some idea of what the
reasons were but I'm not going to repeat them here without being
certain.

-Tom

On Apr 9, 2005 3:45 PM, Chibi <dlist at ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Thom Holwerda Wrote:
> > > What are the teams opinions about Anaconda and using it as the Ubuntu
> > > Linux installer?
> >
> > I'm not part of the team or anything, but I'd just like to say that I
> > don't think that Anaconda is a good choice for Ubuntu. Anaconda is a
> > very good installer, but it still is rather advanced compared to the
> > functions that are currently in the Ubuntu-installer. I think that for
> > 'normal' users, Anaconda is more difficult and challenging than what
> > Ubuntu has currently...
> >
> > Thom Holwerda
> > --
> > Main news posting guy of http://www.expert-zone.com, bringing you the
> > OS/computer news that really matters
> >

> > --
> Nor am I part of the team. But I don't think that would be the reason
> not to use anaconda, because anaconda's options can be toned down-- The
> real reasons are A- Portability, B- Making it work everywhere.
> Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it won't work on an AMD64
> platform or anything, but that the more off platform from 386 you go,
> the more problems X is going to tend to bump into, and the more
> instances it's going to be tough to compile or whatnot.
> Progency has done fairly good work on putting things together to work
> for debian, but if it will work for all of us is another question.
> (Example - X will absolutely not start on my laptop until I've
> reconfigured it with very specific settings).
>
> I suppose if they did go the anaconda way, they could do a 3 failures
> = start debian installer instead. I dunno, I'm just babbling :D
>
> --
> Chibi

Tom von Schwerdtner
Etria, LLP :: http://etria.com/