Epiphany vs. Firefox (Duck!)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Tue Sep 21 19:39:14 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 04:25:43PM -0400, Britt Selvitelle wrote:

> So ... Epiphany vs. Firefox as the default.
>
> I think there is no doubt in anyone's mind that both are excellent
> browsers. I use Epiphany exclusively when in Gnome, and Firefox
> exclusively when in Windows (during those unfortunate times :).
>
> As Jeff pointed out in a post on footnotes, both packages are supported
> so the user has the option of easily installing either. Under these
> circumstances, it is my opinion that Epiphany should probably be the
> default as it integrates with the desktop much better than Firefox at
> this point, and is more on track with what most users need.

This is exactly the debate we struggled with to arrive at our current
decision. :-)  We started with Epiphany as default, but had to weigh its
enhanced desktop integration against the capability and familiarity of
Firefox.

There is a long-term plan for Firefox to provide better GNOME integration,
and we intend to follow that work closely.

--
 - mdz