Epiphany vs. Firefox (Duck!)

Britt Selvitelle britt at muchobs.com
Tue Sep 21 19:51:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 17:39 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> This is exactly the debate we struggled with to arrive at our current
> decision. :-)  We started with Epiphany as default, but had to weigh its
> enhanced desktop integration against the capability and familiarity of
> Firefox.

Right ... I'm just surprised the consensus didn't follow in the other
direction :) In most cases the Gnome (and Ubuntu for that matter) design
follows: "Provide a simple and elegant solution that works for most
people, and give those who need something more complex an easy way to
get it." I would think this lends itself towards Epiphany as the default
browser. I cannot think of a single feature the current Epiphany lacks
that most would need (except for possibly wanting a hierarchal bookmark
structure, which is being worked on actively and will most likely reach
HEAD at some point).

> There is a long-term plan for Firefox to provide better GNOME integration,
> and we intend to follow that work closely.

That will be awesome, but until then shouldn't Ubuntu provide what best
integrates now?

Britt