Feature request: browsing filesystem in gnome "computer" menu

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Thu Nov 18 19:08:38 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:11 -0500, Diego Andrés Asenjo González wrote:
> Hi to all!
> I have been ignored in the last messages. I hope it is going to be the
> exception.

Thou shall not whine!!!

> > > If it takes two hands just to open a silly folder, someone needs to
> > > rethink the term "usability."
> I agree.
> >
> > Use double-middle-click, then ;)

I think you are ignoring the discussion. Left click opens a folder in a
new window, which is the default behavior. People who want to open a
folder and automatically close the previous one, can use middle-click as
a shortcut or left-click to open new window and then left-click on the
close button in the upper right corner of the previous window.

> Sadly, Windows and the file explorer in "browse mode" are another
> defacto standard. Im not a Windows user, I dont like Windows. I just
> want to have a "usable"  Linux desktop. Just make it deafult browser,
> and leave the spatial configuration at four clicks of distance.

The desktop is usable. Browsing in windows IS NOT A DEFAULT ACTION!!! If
you left click on My Computer icon in win2k or XP, you get a window with
icons, similar to spatial nautilus. Now, that window is reuasble unless
you change the preferences, but it doesn't have a tree pain, unless you
right click and choose "Explore" from context menu. Ubuntu desktop is
"usable". Although it has usability bugs, this is NOT one of them.

> The 95% of the people are used to the browser mode. If the 5% like the
> spatial mode .. make it easy configurable for them.

1. Where did you get the numbers? I would like a reference.
2. Who says most people are used to browser mode?

> It could be.
> I just dont want that good programmers like you spend time discusing
> about a little feature of Nautilus for a week.

On this point, I heartily agree with you, I think that this thread is
about 4-5 times longer than it ever should have gotten.