Feature request: browsing filesystem in gnome "computer" menu

poptones dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Fri Nov 19 00:28:08 CST 2004

-I think you are ignoring the discussion. Left click opens a folder in

new window, which is the default behavior. People who want to open a

folder and automatically close the previous one, can use middle-click
as

a shortcut or left-click to open new window and then left-click on the

close button in the upper right corner of the previous window.-

This is insane. If the goal of middle clicking is to have only one
window open, Why on earth would you even bother to open a new one -
moving the active window just a tiny bit further to the middle of the
screen - rather than just use the window that is already open?  ](*,)

The defense of this behavior put forth here and elsewhere totally lack
logical consistency. What if your web browser, with every click on a
link, "automatically" closed the previous window and opened a new one
on the new link? How many people would actually see this as a feature
rather than an incredibly show-stopping nuisance?

And what of the navigation icons? Why can we not even have the -choice-
of enabling useful single click navigational controls? The capabilities
for navigation through the tree are there in that "click and drag" menu
at the bottom, so obviously this isn't -really- about "hiding the
directory structure." Why is making everything two, three, four clicks
away "better" than leaving them a single click away?

I'm sorry, but this "bouncing windows" behavior is just stupid. There's
a lot to like about gnome, but this ain't a feature - it's a giant,
screaming usability bug. It's  different for the mere sake of not doing
things the more logical way because "that's how the other guys do it."

--
poptones