Feature request: browsing filesystem in gnome "computer" menu

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Nov 18 17:52:27 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:11 -0500, Diego Andrés Asenjo González wrote:

> The 95% of the people are used to the browser mode. If the 5% like the
> spatial mode .. make it easy configurable for them.

We have a choice. Either we can produce a piece of software that acts as
much like Windows as possible, or we can produce a piece of software
that we believe is better. The argument for the first of these is that
it lowers the transition cost. But lowering the transition cost is
worthless unless we also provide something that is compellingly
technically better. And being better is inconsistent with being as
similar to Windows as possible.

We should not try to be good enough. We should not try to be a bit
better. We should try to be as good as possible. This will reduce
short-term uptake, but increase long-term uptake. And, fundamentally,
the long-term argument is more important.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org